You will wonder how you ever functioned with your old kitchen once your new kitchen remodel is complete.Read more...
Almost nothing rejuvenates a house like a stunning bathroom design.Read more...
A design build home addition has never been easier than with Signature KitchensRead more...
Universal design and remodeling can empower you and your loved ones to live freely and independently.Read more...
When Ann Willis and her husband, John Grigg, contacted Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths for design and remodeling assistance for their cramped master bathroom, it was not the first time they worked with the firm. Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths is a leading design build contractor in Rockville, MD, and the couple had previously used the firm to remodel their kitchen, front hallway and bathroom. With successfully executed projects completed, the couple did not have to think twice about using Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths for their most recent project.
The couple originally purchased their 1970s townhouse located at 8088 Inverness Ridge Road in Rockville, MD, several years ago. It has a unique architectural style that the couple loved, but it also had functional and style issues that the couple planned to address through various remodeling projects. During the most recent project, the couple worked with friendly and skilled project designer Ellyn Gutridge to improve the function and style of their master bathroom. This is the same designer who assisted them with the previous two projects, and the couple had developed a great rapport with her. The existing master bathroom had builder-grade materials that were several decades old, and it was in desperate need of a makeover. More than that, it had an outer vanity dressing area that lacked the storage space the couple needed. The inner bathroom space was also very small, and featured a four-foot prefab shower, a 24-inch wide pedestal sink and a toilet. Generally, it was outdated in style and was too cramped for two people to comfortably share the space.
The designer at Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths worked with the couple to determine their goals and needs. While updating the style was a priority, the couple also wants to work with a design build contractor Rockville MD to improve the functionality and accessibility of the space. Their goals included expanding the entrances to the bathroom and adding seating in the shower area. While space in the couple’s master bathroom was limited, the experience and skills of the designer prevailed. Ellyn Gutridge successfully created a design that incorporated all aspects of the couple’s wish list without taking away space from the other rooms.
How the Goals Were Accomplished
At first glance, the couple seemed to have an impossible design situation, but the designer at Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths was up for the task. This bathroom remodeling contractor Rockville redesigned the two separate areas to create a larger and more functional space. All of the separating doors and walls were removed. This provided the designer with ample space to add cabinetry with more storage space that the couple desperately needed in the bathroom. The pedestal sink was removed, and there was now space for a second sink with additional counter space. In addition, a 30-inch wide wall vanity was installed. Enlarging the space in this fashion also enabled space for the installation of a traditional five-foot long shower with a flip-up shower seat. Additional space was freed up in the design by installing a corner toilet… in the corner of the room. The end result provided a more open, flowing floor plan. It solved the spatial and storage challenges the homeowners faced.
#design build contractor Rockville MD 20850
• Kitchen Medallion Designer Gold, Park Place, White Chocolate
• Kitchen Cambria, Darlington counter top
• Powder Room Sagehill Cabinetry, Metro, Espresso, Carerra Marble Top
• Kitchen backsplash Mirage glass diamond series
• Master Bedroom Dura Supreme, Crestwood, Silverton Panel Plus, Maple, Graphite
• Master Countertop Cambria Torquay
• Master Shower base black cut pebble
• Master Floor Pretios36 grio
• Hall Bath Dura Supreme, Crestwood, Breckenridge Panel Plus, Maple Storm Gray
• Hall Bath Countertop Carrera Marble
• Hall Bath Field Tile Capua Multi Perla
• Deco Tile Blue Moss
• Cabinet Line-Jay Rambo Custom Kitchen Cabinets, Tulsa Oklahoma, Signature KAB’s exclusive line.
• Door Style-5/4″ thick, Plainview Inset Door, contemporary edge, with exposed hinges.
• Painted Custom Cabinets Wood Species -Maple w/ biscuit paint.
• Stained Kitchen Cabinets Wood Species -Quarter Sawn Oak, Restoration stain color.
• Counter Top-Calcutta Cremo Delicato Marble, Honed.
• Kitchen Back Splash- ceramic tile with a crackle finish.
• Kitchen Cabinet Lighting- Juno LED.
• Flooring-2″ Hexagon un-glazed porcelain imported from New York subway tile manufacturer.
• Lighting: Lightolier, Juno & Rejuvenation Hardware
• Powder Room Floor Tile- back and white marble basket weave imported from France.
• Powder Room Wall Tile- 6″ x 12″ Honed White Carrera Marble.
• Powder Room Faucet-Watermark Gramercy 321 Manufactured in Bronx NY. This is another exclusive line at Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths.
The Project Story
Dr. Steve Kishter & Dr. Freddie Hoffman wanted to engage in a whole house remodel at 5611 16th St NW DC 20011. Although the couple had lived in the home for eight years they had not touched the gauche kitchen remodel the prior owner had engaged in during the 1960’s.
Their goals for the kitchen design which would be tackled first in the whole house remodel were:
• Create a 21st century kitchen design that was reminiscent of the 1925 original.
• Create a better connection between the first floor & basement to the back yard.
• Bring more light into the kitchen design.
• Take advantage of the large footprint to create a better working kitchen floor plan .
• Redesign the powder room and add more closet space
DC resident and senior Bath & Kitchen Designer Joe Gelletich at Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths designed the kitchen, bathroom and basement addressing the following:
• Moved access to basement which was under the future rear entrance off the breakfast nook.
• Eliminated the rear door in the kitchen which simply precluded good kitchen design.
• Eliminated one window to properly locate a 60” range and hood.
• Re opened one window that had been closed in previous 1960’s kitchen remodel.
• Opened a load bearing wall between kitchen and sun room to create a breakfast room, installed divided light pocket doors to mimic the French doors in the house.
• Re-created the original 1925 back hall with coat closet, powder room and access to the basement.
• Opened the rear brick wall to install a new quad casement window to bring more light into the new kitchen design above the porcelain farm sink.
• All of the extensive brick work was done by Signature Kitchens Additions & Baths in house mason with brick which had not been made in 50 years. An early search had found two cubes in Illinois which were quickly acquired.
• Update the electrical wiring.
Tags: Design Build Contractors DC, Washington DC Design Build Contractors, kitchen remodel companies dc, kitchen remodel contractors dc, bathroom remodeling DC, kitchen remodeling companies dc